Instructure Canvas is a popular learning management system (LMS) for K-12 institutions. It is used by learning institutions, educators, and students to access and manage online course learning materials and communicate about skill development and learning achievement.
The Canvas Integration feature allows School Administrators and Teachers to use CloudApps as a teaching tool for their students.
This user guide contains all essential information for Administrators/Teachers users to make use of the Canvas integration. It includes a description of the detailed features and capabilities and step-by-step procedures.
In this article, we'll review:
- Configuring the Canvas integration
- Adding the itopia CloudApps application
- Starting a session
To make use of the functionality, you must have previously created an organization in itopia Classroom Cloudapps platform by requesting a demo to the sales department. After having created the organization district, the administrator must create at least one school with the students and teachers that will have access to it.
Configuring the Canvas integration
1. Log in to the Labs Admin Console as an administrator → click the School tab.
2. From the School dropdown menu, select the School that needs to integrate with Canvas.
3. In the Configuration section, click Configure under LTI Integration.
4. Follow the instructions in the modal that appears to continue the configuration. Jump down to learn more about obtaining an LTI developer key. Click Next when you're ready.
5. Follow the instructions on the next modal to complete the integration. Jump down to learn more about adding the CloudApps Classroom application.
Obtaining an LTI Developer Key
Integration with LTI 1.3 systems is quick and easy! You'll need to generate an LTI developer key in your platform using the information below, and then add itopia CloudApps to your platform through its app integration interface.
Once that's done, users that access CloudApps through your LTI-compatible platform will be automatically rostered to the resource that you assign them in the platform.
1. Log in to Canvas as an administrator and navigate to Admin →<Your account name> .
2. In the lefthand menu, click Developer Keys.
3. Click + Developer Key → LTI key.
4. Specify the following information:
- Key Name: itopia CloudApps
- Method: Enter URL
- Owner Email: <Your Email Address>
- JSON URL: https://lti.labs.itopia.app/api/lti/configuration/canvas
- Redirect URLs:
5. Click Save.
On the Developer Keys screen, locate the key you just created and copy its Client ID from the Details column. Before moving on, make sure the developer key state is ON
Adding the itopia CloudApps Application
1. In the left hand menu, click Settings:
- Select the Apps tab, and click View App Configurations.
2. On the Add App screen:
- Set configuration Type to By Client ID.
- Specify the Client ID you copied from the LTI Developer Key.
- Click Submit.
- Click Install.
3. On the Apps screen, click the Settings icon next to the new itopia CloudApps entry and select Deployment ID.
4. Copy the Client ID and enter it in the Client ID: text box in the itopia CloudApps console.
5. Copy the Deployment ID and enter it in the Deployment ID: text box in the itopia CloudApps console.
6. Click Save.
Adding the itopia CloudApps application in Canvas course
1. Log into Canvas.
2. Edit a course object (typically an "assignment" or "page")
3. Select Tools → Apps → CloudApps.
4. You'll be prompted with a dropdown menu of the available CloudApps images. Select an image → Select image bundle.
5. Click Insert.
6. A link to "Launch [app] in CloudApps" will be added to the Course Object. Click Save & Publish when you're ready.
Starting a session
1. Log into Canvas and load the Course object.
2. Click the link to "Launch [app] in CloudApps".
3. A new browser tab will open, signing you into CloudApps and launching your session.