This guide will explain how to configure a new organization through the admin portal. When you're finished, your devs will be able to start working in your first space.
A minimal setup consists of 4 layers:
- an organization, to manage your administrators;
- a deployment, to manage your servers;
- a collection, to manage your developers;
- a space, to manage a desktop environment.
Your organization was automatically created when you signed up for a Spaces pricing plan (see the previous guide), so this guide covers how to create your first deployment, collection, and space.
Note: If you would prefer an CLI-based or API-based setup process, see this reference doc for alternatives.
Creating a deployment
- From your organization's page in the Spaces Admin Portal, click the NEW button above the (empty) list of deployments.
- Enter your preferred display name and Google Cloud region.
- Create your new deployment, which should appear in the deployment list.
- You should receive a support email about your new deployment, which will update you on its status.
Optional: Granting fellow admins access to the organization
- Click the NEW ADMINISTRATOR button above the list of administrators.
- Enter the email address of one of your fellow admins.
- Click the Save button.
- Repeat steps #1-3 until all appropriate people have access to your new organization.
Creating a collection
- When your deployment is ready, select it in the deployment selector at the top of the Spaces Admin Portal.
- Click the + button at the top of the COLLECTIONS tab.
- Create your new collection with your preferred name.
Granting access to the collection
- Click the NEW USER button on the right side of the COLLECTIONS tab.
- Enter your email address.
- Optionally, choose to send a notification email.
- Click the Save button.
- Repeat steps #1-4 with your coworkers' email addresses until all appropriate people have access to your new collection.
Creating a space
- Click the NEW SPACE button at the top of the COLLECTIONS tab.
- Select any one of the images from itopia’s image catalog. For more information about itopia’s image catalog and how to create your own custom images, see this guide.
- Optionally, customize the default settings for your new space.
- Create your new space.
Optional: Testing your new space
- Click the OPEN LAUNCHER PORTAL button at the top of the COLLECTIONS tab to visit your deployment's Spaces Launcher Portal.
- Copy the URL of this webpage. You can send this URL to your coworkers, and anyone to whom you granted access in the previous section should see the same webpage that you see.
- Click the LAUNCH button corresponding to your new space. After a delay, you should be inside your new space, with access to the desktop and installed applications.
Now you have set up everything that your developers need to start working in your new space. If you have any questions or feedback, you can use the ? (Support & feedback) menu at the top-right of the Spaces Admin Portal to contact the Spaces support team.