itopia Labs blocks most Internet web sites by default; Labs sessions are permitted to access a limited list of sites and addresses (listed below) to allow basic functionality such as Google and Microsoft sign-in, and application-specific requirements for data access.
Administrators can add custom URLs to the allow list to permit Labs users to access additional sites and resources. In the Labs Admin Console, Custom URL Allow Lists can be configured at both the District level and at the School level. Each Labs session will aggregate its allow list from both the District and the School, and the cumulative allow list will be added to the Default Allow List detailed below.
Creating a Custom Allow List
You can add specific URLs or domains to your District or School allow list using the Labs Admin Console (labs-admin.itopia.com). The Custom Allow List supports the following formats:
- Domains and subdomains (e.g. itopia.com and labs.itopia.com)
- Partial or full URL paths (e.g., itopia.com/itopia-labs)
- Wildcards (although this is equivalent to omitting that portion of the URL; e.g., *.itopia.com and itopia.com/*)
- Protocol enforcement (e.g., https://itopia.com)
To edit your Custom Allow List:
- Log in to the Labs Admin Console (labs-admin.itopia.com) as an administrator with Editor or higher privileges on either the School or the District you wish to configure.
- Use the dropdown menu in the top-left corner of the console to navigate to the District or the School that you wish to configure.
- For a District, navigate to the District Policies card; for a School, navigate to the Configuration card.
- Click Edit.
- Enter the URLs you wish to allow, separated by a comma, semicolon, or by pressing [ENTER].
- Click Save.
Any new Class sessions that are started will automatically receive the new Allow Lists; sessions that are currently running will need to be restarted.
Default Allow List
Every Labs session has access to the following URLs via the Google Chrome web browser. Note that although other browsers (including the built-in Microsoft Edge browser) are not accessible, itopia Labs does not currently employ a full network traffic filter; therefore, it may be possible to access certain Internet resources using other methods.
# Google resources (required for authentication, productivity apps [Google Docs, Sheets, Drive etc.])
account.youtube.com # This does not permit access to YouTube content; however, Google still relies on this domain for user authentication
google.com/a/ # Google web search is not accessible; this URL is used for authentication
# Third-party identity providers and required resources
# Additional URLs (required for other sites to function)
# Microsoft / Windows resources
# itopia Labs resources
# Adobe applications
# Autodesk applications
# Chief Architect application
# SolidWorks application
# SMART Notebook application
# Local resources (needed for certain application services)
Please sign in to leave a comment.