- [Application] Unity Editor 2021 is now an available option in our Unity image
- [Application] SMART Notebook is available in private beta! If you'd like to help us test this application, please contact your itopia Customer Success representative or simply email the itopia Helpdesk at firstname.lastname@example.org
- [Enhancement] Labs now has an improved side panel that simplifies the view for users to see the most relevant information and have easier access to options such as fullscreen mode.
- [Enhancement] Labs now has Progressive Web App (PWA) support, allowing you to install Labs as a native desktop app and get a more focused experience. Users will occasionally see a banner at the bottom of the User Dashboard to install as a PWA, or they can use the new option in the user menu in the top-right corner of the page.
- [Feature] Administrators can now configure an Autodesk Network License Server when creating a class that includes Autodesk products. If you have an on-premises network license server that has a public IP address, Labs can preconfigure your user sessions to connect to the license server rather than having to use per-user licensing. For more information, please see the Autodesk article
- [Bug fix] Fixed an issue that was preventing copy and paste from working correctly in some cases between the local device and the remote Labs session.
- [Enhancement] Session startup is now approximately 25% faster than before for most images!
- [Enhancement] A new startup experience that shows users better progress and helpful tips while they wait for their session to start
- [Feature] USB Device Redirection is now available in select images! Applications that rely on local USB devices (such as robotics controllers) can now connect to USB devices users' local Chromebook devices. To connect a local device, start a session, open the Side Panel (on the right edge of your screen), and click the Connect button to select the device. Note that this feature is not compatible with local devices running Windows or MacOS.
- [Enhancement] Multiselect for assigned users lets you remove multiple users from a Class at once.
- [Application Release] Autodesk 2023 applications have been released and now include 3ds Max and Maya. The 2022 version of Autodesk has also been updated with these applications and will continue to be available
- [Application Release] GIMP - GIMP is an open-source image editor that's a longstanding and powerful Photoshop alternative.
- [Feature] The Labs Admin Network Statistics module in the Labs Admin Portal allows administrators to view the results of all the Preflight Checklists tests that have been run for all users in the past month to help identify connectivity issues.
- [Enhancement] Dynamic bitrate support for Labs sessions. Labs will now automatically adjust the quality of a streaming Labs session based on available network bandwidth and performance.
- [Application Release] Unity development platform is now available as a standalone Class image. Unity include Visual Studio Community and all the necessary tools to enable fast, powerful game development for beginners and experts alike.
- [Enhancement] Improved UI performance - Both the Labs Admin Portal and the Labs User Portal now load data significantly faster
- [Feature] itopia Labs is now offered using a flat per-user fee. This pricing model eliminates Compute Credits and provides a predictable, fixed price per named user.
- [Feature] itopia Labs now supports Microsoft identities. Students and administrators can now log in using a Microsoft school or work account (Azure AD or Office 365).
- [Enhancement] The Labs Admin Portal and the Labs User Portal should now load much faster than before.
- [Feature] The Preflight Checklist will automatically test end-user connectivity when they log into the Labs User Portal. If connectivity issues or poor performance are detected, the user is notified before attempting to start their Labs Session.
- [Application Release] SolidWorks - Labs now includes SolidWorks 2021, a solid modeling computer-aided design and computer-aided engineering application.
- [Feature Release] Custom URL Allow Lists - itopia Labs now allows administrators to specify their own list of domains to allow within a Labs Session. Lists can be specified at both the District and School level, and the applied Allow list is an aggregate of both lists. Learn more here: Custom URL Allow Lists.
- [Platform Update] New Labs Endpoints (Action Required) - To ensure that client devices can access all itopia Labs functionality, K12 districts may need to update their firewall and content filtering devices with new endpoint addresses. The list of endpoints is available here: Networking Requirements for Accessing Labs
- [Application Release] Autodesk - The Autodesk image now includes Fusion 360, a software platform for design, engineering, electronics, and manufacturing.
- [Application Update] Computer Science - The Computer Science image has been updated with GitHub and Pygame extensions. Visual Studio Code was also updated with extensions for Python, C/C++, C# and Java.
- [Application Release] Autodesk Fusion360 - The Labs image has been updated to include Autodesk Fusion360. This new Labs application is currently being validated by several K12 districts. We'll announce when Fusion 360 is available in the public application catalogue.
- [Application Release] Blender - Labs now includes Blender, a free and open-source 3D computer graphics software toolset used for creating animated films, visual effects, art, 3D printed models, motion graphics, interactive 3D applications, virtual reality, and computer games.