itopia Labs delivers learning experiences from Autodesk, which offers applications for architecture, engineering, construction, manufacturing, media, education, and entertainment industries.
In this article, we'll review:
The Labs Autodesk image includes the most recent generally-available versions and the previous major version of the following applications:
- AutoCAD - Autodesk's flagship computer-aided design (CAD) software, AutoCAD is used by architects, engineers, and structural designers to design, draft, and model buildings and other structures
- Revit - The Revit line of software for building information modeling is designed to let users explore the planning, construction, and management of a building virtually before it is built
- Fusion 360 - Fusion 360 unifies design, engineering, electronics, and manufacturing into a single software platform
- Inventor Pro - Inventor 3D CAD software provides professional-grade mechanical design, documentation, and product simulation tools
- 3ds Max - 3ds Max is a longtime industry standard for creative modeling of characters, objects, and scenes and includes a powerful rendering engine
- Maya - Maya is a cutting-edge 3D modelling and animation platform
Updated: October 2022
itopia Labs now supports both "named user" and "network license server" models. When creating a Class, you can optionally specify a public IP address and network port for your Autodesk license server.
Autodesk software is subject to Autodesk's licensing terms. Users are required to sign in to their licensed Autodesk accounts when launching software, or a valid network license server must be configured and reachable from the Labs network.
For information on education licensing, refer to Autodesk Education and Student Access.
Connecting to Your Licensing Server
Each virtual machine instance created through Labs is ephemeral and isolated from communicating with other devices over the network. For Autodesk applications to communicate with your license server from Labs, we must meet a few requirements.
Labs does not support private connectivity to on-premises networks (such as via VPN); therefore, your Autodesk license server must be accessible from the Internet with a static public IP or a dynamic DNS record that automatically points to the current IP address of your Autodesk Network License Manager server.
Your perimeter firewall device must be configured to allow traffic from the following IP addresses and TCP ports; these are the IP addresses that Labs sessions use for Internet connectivity.
TCP Daemon Port (see below)
By default, the Autodesk licensing daemon assigns a dynamic port whenever the license service is started; you can manually specify a static port in your Autodesk license file by appending 'port=XXXX' to the line that defines DAEMON ADSK. For example, to specify port 2080, you can edit your license fille to change the DAEMONl ine to:
DAEMON ADSK port=2080
When you create a new Class in the Labs Admin Dashboard (labs-admin.itopia.com) and select an Autodesk image, you may optionally enter your license server's public address in the format:
[Port]@[IP address or DNS name]
Where Port is the daemon port and IP address or DNS name is the public address of your license server.